Categories allows to guide customers to similar products within the same category. Exposing customers to different products within a category lets the customer compare the similarities and differences between products to make the most informed purchase. When adding products to the store, you will be asked for a product category to sort them in. It is a good idea to establish these categories before adding products, to save yourself the trouble of adding the category name to the products later.
- Go to Catalog - Categories
- Press "pencil button" to edit or "+ button" to create a new category
Most important settings:
- Category name
- Description Text that will describe this category on the category page, to be viewed by the customers in the store front of the shop
- Visibility block
- Image you can add an image to the category description
- Parent category - Categories are arranged in a hierarchical structure; with the parent category always on top. You may choose to create a category under a parent category, turning it into a sub-category. In the category list the category will be displayed as "Parent Category > Sub-Category". If "None" is selected, the category created will be a parent category.
In Advanced Settings you can set:
- Stores If you are managing a multi-store, you may check which stores you would like to add this category
- SEO URL
- Sort order